Bridgewater Family Medical Practice was established in 1929 by Dr. J. L. Levingstone in St Mary’s Street, opposite the previous Post Office. In 1935 the current premises, known as “Drumcarrig”, were built to house the doctor and his family, as well as providing a new surgery.
Dr. Levingstone’s nephew, Dr. W. Flewett joined the practice in 1954 and for many years lived in ‘Drumcarrig’, using just two rooms to practice from. As the needs of general practice expanded in the 1970s, the whole building gradually became converted into surgery premises. Dr. J. P. Giles arrived in 1968, retiring in 1991. He was joined by Dr Richard Thompson in 1984.
Dr John Snelling joined in 1991 and he and Dr Thompson remained in Partnership until September 2012 when Dr Snelling moved to the Isle of Man. In 1995 the Surgery was extended considerably to allow better disabled access, to provide more modern nursing facilities and to make room for GP Training. In 1998 we became a training practice, and recently we have again increased the number of rooms to accommodate a nursing team of three.Dr Thompson was joined by Drs Lyttle and Muir in October 2012 to form a new partnership until Dr Thompson retired in October 2015.
Drs Muir & Lyttle form the current partnership.