Bridgewater surgery has a positive attitude to receiving complaints from patients.  We aim to provide explanations and feedback about patients concerns.  Feedback is used to constructively improve the services we offer at Bridgewater Surgery.

The practice complaints procedure aims to:

  1. a) Ensure a prompt response and a quick resolution of complaints.
  2. b) Investigate all complaints fairly.
  3. c) Focus on improving the service not apportioning blame.
  4. d) Ensure that patients are aware of how to make a complaint.

Contacts for complaints at this surgery are:

Mrs Morven Jones ‘Practice Manager’ for all initial complaints and Administration matters.

Dr Tim Lyttle ‘Senior Partner’ for clinical matters. Dr Lyttle is also the named responsible person for complaints within the Practice

Recording and responding to complaints

All staff at Bridgewater Surgery will be prepared to listen to patients concerns and refer that patient to the appropriate person who can deal with the problem.

Complaints can be made verbally or in writing, if made verbally note will be taken by the person responding to your complaint.  Bridgewater Surgery will acknowledge the complaint in writing within 3 working days.  A more detailed response will be received within 10 working days of the complaint being made.  The patient will be kept fully informed if investigations are taking longer.

In all cases we will try and ensure that patients’ immediate health needs are being met.

Complaining on behalf of someone else

If someone wishes to complain on behalf of a patient, Bridgewater Surgery will ask for written permission from the patient in question.


All complaints will be dealt with in a confidential and personal manner.  If a patient wishes to complain they will be asked to accompany the Practice Manager to a private area.  The Practice Manager will listen to the complaint and try to resolve the matter. The patient who is complaining will be encouraged to speak openly and freely.

The patient may wish to make the complaint in writing; the Practice Manager will assist the patient to do this if necessary.

All relevant documentation will be kept in a confidential file separate from the patient’s notes.  A patients complaint will only be discussed to the extent it is necessary to answer the complaint.

When investigating the complaint the Practice Manager may need to keep notes of the interview.


If necessary the practice will nominate an independent person to investigate the complaint or arrange for an independent conciliator, approved by Shropshire Clinical Commissioning Group.

If the practice invites the patient to discuss the complaint as part of the investigation, we will invite the patient to bring a relative, friend or other representative with them.  On such occasions the Practice Manager will accompany the Partners.

If the patient does not feel that they can discuss their complaint with the Practice Manager they can contact NHS England Complaints Service on 0300 311 22 33  Or there is the independent NHS complaints advocacy service that you can access free. Contact Healthwatch Shropshire 01743 237884

Resolving a complaint

All complainants will if appropriate be given a full explanation and if the practice is found to be at fault a letter of apology will be issued.  This letter will advise the patient of the steps they need to take if they are still not happy.


After following the NHS complaints procedure if you are still dissatisfied you can go directly to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman who will review the case and decide if further investigation is needed. You can contact their helpline on 0345 015 4033.


All complaints that we have at this practice are reported anonymously to the NHS England and our Clinical Commissioning Group.

N.B The normal time limit for making a complaint is within 12 months of the event giving rise to the complaint.

If you have a genuine concern about a staff member or regulated activity carried on by this Practice then you can contact the Care Quality Commission on 03000 616161, or alternatively visit the following website: